• Twitter
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn

Private Rented Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards

Don't Wait to Insulate

As from the 1st April 2018 there will be a requirement for any properties rented out in the private rented sector to have a minimum energy performance rating of E on an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC).

The regulations will come into force for new lets and renewals of tenancies from 1st April 2018, and for all existing tenancies on 1st April 2020. It will be unlawful to rent a property which breaches the MEES requirement for a minimum E rating. 

For most landlords this will mean that they will no longer be able to rent out a property with a rating of F or G after April 1st, 2018.  Landlords should also be aware that under the Housing Act (2004), Local Authorities may respond to complaints from private tenants. The Local Authority must act where a Category 1 Hazard (including Excess Cold and/or Damp and Mould) exists and has discretionary powers to act where there is a Category 2 hazard in a privately rented property. Failure to bring the property up to a minimum energy rating of E may result in the Local Authority taking enforcement action.

We encourage Landlords to prepare for the new standards before April by improving the energy efficiency of their properties.  Many properties will be entitled to free or discounted insulation, with some homes and tenants being eligible for heating grants to assist you in meeting these standards. To view our latest grant funding rates click here.

Call us FREE on 0800 587 7795 or Email us: info@aranservices.co.uk


© Aran Services Limited | Company Reg No: 05045144 GDP NO:112 | VAT Number: 833278127Web Design by Pure Energy
Request a call back